Thursday 24 June 2010

Michael Jackson: 1958- 2009

A year ago today we lost one of music's greats. The undeniable King of Pop Michael Jackson.


Who rememberer's where they were when they found out, cos I do. I was at home chillin' with the fam when we received a call that Michael Jackson was dead. Now when you get a call like that about someone of his magnitude your first thought is disbelief, we seriously thought it was a hoax. Your second thought is please don't let this be true. Your third thought is hoping for a miracle. Seriously we had the news on all night. It was like something out of the Twilight Zone, I kept thinking I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning and they're going to say that he's fine. But of course a year on, we know that, that was not the case.


I am going to be honest now, when I was younger I wasn't really a die hard fan, I don't mean I didn't like him cos I did but I wasn't one of those Michael is my life people; but as I matured I have grown to really appreciate his music, both as a form of art and as a piece of cultural heritage.


Michael was able to break through so many boundaries and start so many revolutions. This is why I believe that stars today should pay this man homage, because who knows without him, would certain types of music be seen acceptable in mainstream society??

Since he's gone I've really started to appreciate him. I'm learning so much about Michael as a person as well as his music.

His legendary dance moves brought rhythm and soul and even underground moves to the people on a worldwide scale; I mean everyone knows about the legendary 'moonwalk'. This is seen in his legendary Motown 25 performance.



Even his music videos were special. He was able to merge both the elements of film and music and create short films of greatness. Who can forget the 14 minute music video that is Thriller, which I believe is one of the greatest and most influential music videos ever.


No matter what people say about him, good, bad whatever...personally I can say is that he will be truly missed.

Michael Jackson truly was a visionary and I'm glad that in my lifetime I was able to share in the greatness that he was.


It brings a smile to my face when I see my younger siblings get excited over a Michael track and try and do his moves, this shows that his music will live on forever.

In my eyes he will always be a music legend.

Rest in Peace Michael Jackson.

I end this with a few of my all time fave tracks.







No comments: