Saturday 3 July 2010

On A Serious Note

Last night I experienced the most scariest thing ever. On my train journey home from an event with two members of the motley crew, I witnessed a man have a fit/seizure right in front of my face. Now I know what a fit looks like because I've seen it happen on the television but that is nothing compared to seeing someone having one right there in the flesh. It was one of the most scariest experiences of my life. I seriously thought that he was going to die.

One of the most disturbing things was that when he crashed to the floor, no-one in the carriage knew what to do. Because nobody knew first aid! It was the courageous actions of a few, that settled the man and called the ambulance that probably saved his life. I believe that everyone should  learn first aid and that it should be a made compulsory for children to learn whilst at school. I think that it is an extremely important life skill to know because it effectively helps in the process of saving someones life. I know that if it was just me and nobody else on that carriage last night that man may not have survived because I have no knowledge of first aid.

Since witnessing what I did, I have made the initiative to enroll on a British Red Flag first aid course. I will also be getting in touch with my local council to make first aid courses available to all, in the area that I live in.


No comments: